Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Tremain's Book Corner: "Games Creatures Play" by Charlaine Harris

Games Creatures Play
Place Hold
Editors: Charlaine Harris & Toni L.P. Kelner
Reviewed by: Tremain Jackson, South Branch Manager

Book Summary: Welcome to the wide world of paranormal pastimes, where striking out might strike you dead.  Editors Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner are your announcers for this all new story collection of the most peculiar plays ever made...

Sports fans live and die by their teams' successes and failures - though not literally.  But these fourteen authors have written spirited - in more ways than one - new tales of killer competitions that would make even the most die-hard players ask to be benched.

Personal Review: I don't mind paranormal reads, but the only reason I picked this book up wsa because Charlaine Harris' name was attached to it, and I'm a fan of the Sookie Stackhouse books and the True Blood TV series.  Plus, I won't lie...the fact that it contained a number of short stories I could skip around on if I wanted also helped matters too.

There are a few authors whose names I recognized, and I started with reading their stories first, and I found the collection of stories be fairly good.  It wasn't a "run through the streets telling everyone how fantastic it was" book, but at the same time, I didn't feel as if I wasted hours of my life reading the stories.

This anthology of works was entertaining, and each story, as the summary suggests, offers an unusual combination of the paranormal and sports.  I was skeptical about this because I'm not a big sports fan, but luckily, you don't really have to be.  For instance, with Harris' story, titled "Into the Blue," I was happy to see that her story included Sookie Stackhouse, while introducing her to a character in a different series by the author.  Their meeting was set at a softball game in Bon Temps.  Much like Harris, the additional authors didn't stray too far from their comfort zone, at least with the authors I recognized, so the stories will be filled with witches, monsters, faeries, ghosts, and more, all playing to win.  And still, although I have very little interest in sports, I enjoyed this anthology.

That being said, there are still some stories that probably would have made more sense if I read the books by the author, but it still wasn't to the point where I felt completely in the dark.  At the end of the day, as long as you like some of the authors included, you'll probably enjoy this collection of stories.  My favorite would have to be the one featuring Sookie Stackhouse, but that's simply because out of all the authors I recognized, it was Harris' series I followed.  What can I say?  I'm biased that way.

It's difficult to provide a review on this collection, as you'd more than likely have to write something about every story, and I'm not going to do that.  What I will say, is that it's worth the read, even if you're only reading the story by the authors you love.  They move along fast, introduce colorful characters (some of which you already know), and doesn't heavily rely on the sports metaphors as the title would suggest.

Try it out for yourself by looking out for a copy at your Abilene Public Library and seeing which are your favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment