Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Tremain's Book Corner: "Yellow Brick War" by Danielle Paige

Yellow Brick War (Dorothy Must Die #3)
Place Hold
Author: Danielle Paige
Reviewed By: Tremain Jackson, South Branch Manager
Personal Rating: 2.5 Stars


Book Summary: Amy's mission to take down Dorothy Gale is not going according to plan.  Dorothy has found a way to bridge the worlds of Oz and Kansas, and if the power-hungry dictator of Oz has her way, Kansas will be destroyed forever.  Now, Amy has to team up with the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked to save her home, restore the balance between the magic and nonmagic worlds, maybe get the guy - and kill that not-so-sweet Kansas farm girl once and for all. 

Personal Review: In a series that started off so strong, all I want to ask now is "what had happened?"  Although I'm a fan of re-tellings, not so much of YA reads, the first book in this series hooked me because it provided another take on the world of Oz, from a completely different perspective in which everything is upside down.  Your heroine is certainly flawed, Dorothy's drunk on power that's turned her into a lunatic (which I find thoroughly enjoyable), and life over the rainbow isn't as idyllic as it once was.

The first book was great and got me hooked to want to read more.  The second book was so-so and I was hoping this third book would bring it all back together for a dashing conclusion until I learned it's not going to be trilogy and that there will be another entry.  At this point, I don't know if I'll continue to read more of them.

Problems I saw from this entry was its length.  At under 300 pages, it seems as if it was written novella-style, and that just didn't really work for me.  Although I appreciate it when a story gets to the point from the start, it was too condensed (without much happening) to justify a solo entry.  

It's easy to see that the author has a great idea and story, I'll give her that, but it's losing steam with each published entry rather than revving you up for more.  Here's my rationale.  There was little to no character development on the core group of players, Amy slowly reverts back to old habits instead of growing as the protagonist, I didn't care for the relationship between Nox and Amy, then you get the introduction of a new villain, the Nome King.  Really?  His motives appear to be pretty much the same as Dorothy's, which leaves me to wonder why he needed to be introduced in the first place.  Oh yes, that's because there needed to be more installments in the series.

It just appeared that the author was more focused on leaving the door open for future installments than about really tying up the series.  That's understandable.  It's a great marketing gimmick for the publishing world that works, as it's pulled in its fair share of readers (myself included).  But if the quality of the series decreases as it goes on, that's a problem that should be addressed early on.  It's turning out to be a yellow brick road that I don't want to ease on down any longer.

But don't let my opinion sway you from not giving the book a chance.  If you haven't read any of the series, start with the first book, Dorothy Must Die, and work your way towards this title.  Based on what I've heard from others, I might be in the minority for not thinking it's still an amazing series.

1 comment:

  1. I disagree, I read and enjoyed all of these books so far

    ReplyDelete