Imagination. Creativity. Fun. These are a few words that could be used to describe the popularity of Lego Clubs at your Abilene Public Library. Started at the Main Library, all branch locations now offer monthly sessions to provide youth with even more opportunities to be a part of the building fun.
|Lego Club Display at Your Library|
As an added bonus, the South Branch Library has begun to display completed Lego creations for the month in a new featured display. Located in the exterior entrance lobby, one of four display cases will feature Lego projects from club participants, which will be seen by an average of 20,000 visitors to the South Branch Library each month. That's pretty awesome, and we're happy to show off the talent of local youth, while having them become active contributors to art displays at the library.
If you have a child, or teen, with an interest in Legos, check out our schedule of monthly sessions:
- South Branch Library | 1st Tuesdays of Each Month at 4:00PM (for Youth & Teens)
- Main Library | 2nd Wednesdays of Each Month at 4:00PM (for Youth & Teens)
- Mockingbird Branch Library | 4th Saturdays of Each Month at 10:30AM (for School-Aged Youth)
Legos have been around since the 1940s and many of us remember playing with them as a child. After 70 years, these little blocks are continuing to remain popular, with schools and libraries also using them due to their educational value. Who knew you could get that from little interlocking pieces of colorful plastic?
Although Lego Clubs are designed for youth to come out, have fun, and interactive with their peers, there's quite a few benefits of participating, including:
- Providing tools that develop lateral thinking in a fun environment.
- Teaching youth how to think in three dimensions while building.
- Improving literacy as kids work with instructions, patterns, and designs.
- Developing problem-solving, organization, and planning by construction.
- Improving creativity.
- Enhancing communication and critical thinking.
- Boosting motor development skills.
With so many benefits, while being fun too, we invite you to bring your children out to our monthly meetups to see for yourselves. There's no registration required and we'll supply all the materials you'll need. For more information about our Lego Clubs, contact the South Branch Library at 325-698-7565, the Main Library at 325-677-2474, or the Mockingbird Branch Library at 325-437-7323.