Fridays are heating up at your Abilene Public Library for this year's Summer Reading Clubs, and children's staff at your South Branch & Main Library will host a special series of activities tying right in with the 2017 theme of "Build a Better World." With some activities designed for kids of all ages and others extending up to age 18, all are designed as fun and educational activities to lessen the summer slide while on a summer break from school. Let's take a look at the different series being offered.
Summer STEM Challenges | Ages 8-18
The South Branch Library will host a series of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) activities designed to challenge youth and teens towards developing stronger critical thinking skills. Rising in popularity in school systems, the library will be jumping on board by hosting a number of activities that will not only be fun, but certainly educational. Such activities include:
- Friday, June 9 at 4:00PM: Egg Drop to construct a contraption to protect an egg from a fall.
- Friday, June 23 at 4:00PM: Paper Airplanes to create a design that will surpass all others.
- Friday, June 30 at 4:00PM: Balloon Towers to see whose tower of balloons will stand the tallest.
- Friday, July 14 at 4:00PM: Marble Mazes to design your own moving puzzles.
- Friday, July 28 at 4:00PM: Recycled Paper to learn to create paper from recycled materials.
Who I Could Be...Career Series | Kids of All Ages
Youth of all ages are introduced to a variety of adults working in a number of different professions and careers, but may not know exactly what they do. As impressionable as children may be, your South Branch Library will offer four (4) career sessions titled "Who I Could Be" to introduce them to various career fields. One of them may just be a field your child is interested in. Each session will feature interactive talks with guest speakers and maybe some fun show & tell activities as well. Summer sessions will include:
- Friday, June 2 at 4:00PM: Meet a Firefighter featuring Abilene Firefighters from Station 8.
- Friday, June 16 at 4:00PM: Meet a Police Officer featuring Abilene Police Officers.
- Friday, July 7 at 4:00PM: Meet a Meteorologist featuring Randy Turner from KRBC.
- Friday, July 21 at 4:00PM: Meet a Pastry Chef featuring Tasha Teel, Owner of The Cakery in Lubbock, TX.
Build a Better World Series | Kids of All Ages
Kids will have the opportunity to "Build a Better World" by attending a special series hosted at the Main Library on select Fridays throughout the summer. Incorporating a number of different activities in each session, youth will learn about a different subject at each session, as well as engage in additional activities including stories, crafts, and other stimuli. Designed for all ages, you won't want to miss your chance to participate in all four including:
- Friday, June 16 at 3:00PM: Kid(gineering) where you'll learn how things are built.
- Friday, June 30 at 3:00PM: Green Fingers to learn about how things grow.
- Friday, July 14 at 3:00PM: Trash to Treasure to learn about the importance of recycling.
- Friday, July 28 at 3:00PM: An Apple a Day to learn the importance of developing healthy habits.
It's all at your library this summer so be sure to bring your kids out to these special activities and be a part of building that better community.