Halloween is drawing near, but your Abilene Public Library is not about to let it go by without upping the number of family-friendly fun to get you in the mood. With annual traditional activities to spooky movies, we've got a great lineup of events for you to take advantage of. As always, they're offered 100% free and there's no need to register for any of them. Take a look at the lineup of activities we've got planned for Saturday, October 27 through Halloween.
- Family Flix: "Hocus Pocus" (All Ages) | Saturday, October 27 at 11:00AM: As an annual tradition at the South Branch Library, we'll host a free showing of "Hocus Pocus," which is about the best Disney Halloween movie ever. This PG flick follows three sister witches who are resurrected after three centuries in the town of Salem, Massachusetts on Halloween Night. They have one chance to stay alive and wreak havoc on the town, unless two teens, a young girl, and an immortal cat stops them.
- Family Films: "Goosebumps" (All Ages) | Saturday, October 27 at 2:30PM: Don't miss the chance to catch a great afternoon Halloween flick that draws on all the scary creatures and monsters that appear in a popular children's book series by R.L. Stine. Always in heavy demand with kids at the library, we'll be showing the live-action adaptation of the books and TV series with 2015's "Goosebumps" at your Mockingbird Branch Library. In this film, all the monsters from the stories are set free on the town of Madison, Delaware, and it's up to the author of the series, his daughter, and a neighbor teen to do something about it.
- South STEAM: Spooky Science (Ages 5+) | Saturday, October 27 at 4:00PM: Youth won't want to pass up on a fun and hands-on STEAM event at your South Branch Library that will delve into all things spooky for Halloween. Those who are brave will be asked to get involved in all things gross, squishy, creepy, and downright disgusting in a way that will not only have them grimacing in "fear," but learning at the same time. We'll supply all the materials and instruction needed for this fun workshop your children will not want to miss out on.
- Weekend Walk-In Flix: "A Quiet Place" (Ages 13+) | Sunday, October 28 at 2:00PM: If you're ready for a thriller, then join your South Branch Library as we'll be showing a movie that proves that even in silence, the world around you can be just as terrifying. We'll be showing 2018's "A Quiet Place," starring John Krasinski and Emily Blunt. In this film, two parents do whatever it takes to keep their children safe in a world of creatures hunting every sound they can hear. Not a sound can be heard from the family hiding in silence, but all it takes is just one noise and everything they know can go completely wrong. It's a clever thriller that will certainly delight fans of creature features.
- Sugar Skulls Workshop (All Ages) | Tuesday, October 30 at 5:00PM: Your Main Library will once again be hosting our annual Sugar Skulls Workshop, which is a great multicultural program celebrating Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). Designed for all ages to enjoy, we'll supply you with pre-made sugar skulls as blank canvases, and then you can use paints and other accessories to decorate them however you choose. It always draws out a great crowd each year, so be sure you come out to your Main Library and make one for yourself.
- Mall-O-Ween @ Your Library (All Ages) | Tuesday, October 30 at 6:00PM: Don't miss your chance to stop by your South Branch Library as we join in on the annual Mall-O-Ween festivities hosted at the Mall of Abilene. Starting at 6:00PM, we'll host a series of fun activities for youth to engage in, along with some trick-or-treating, and you will also get the chance to trick-or-treat at other stores and businesses in the mall too. And if you come dressed in your costumes this year, you can participate in the mall's annual costume contest. We had a blast last year, with hundreds of people coming out to celebrate with us, so be sure to make your South Branch Library your place to be this evening.
- Super Spooky Storytime (Kids of All Ages) | Wednesday, October 31 at 10:45AM: Kids and parents won't want to miss this special event at your South Branch Library on Halloween morning. We'll be replacing our regularly scheduled preschool storytime with an enhanced event that will certainly get your kids in the mood for trick-or-treating this evening. We'll share some of our favorite stories and play great games like Pin the Bone on the Skeleton, Pumpkin Bowling, and a gross game of What IS That? Plus, we encourage you to come dressed in your costumes too because we may have some trick-or-treating you can take advantage of in the library.
- Teen After Hours: Halloween Party (Ages 11-18) | Wednesday, October 31 at 5:45PM: If you have a teen looking for something fun to do on Halloween Night, and you want to make sure they're safe, bring them to your South Branch Library. We're hosting an after hours Halloween Party when the doors close to the public. All teens will be supervised by library staff where we'll have a host of activities to keep them busy. Come out and enjoy some Halloween-themed games, crafts, contests, and more, plus we'll be watching episodes of the hit show "Supernatural." We do ask that all teens arrive at the library no later than 5:45PM so everyone will be in the library before we close the doors to the public. At that time, we'll notify parents when they should arrive for pickup.
With such great activities coming up, don't miss your chance to participate in all the Halloween fun going on at your library this month.